Sunday, December 4, 2016

#teacherIaspiretobe

For 4 years, I taught learning support in a brick and mortar school.  I used technology in my classroom but for a variety of limiting factors, it wasn't always in the best possible way.  I now work for a completely online school in a totally different role.  Four days a week I reinforce math subjects that might have been forgotten or need to be refreshed.  I also spend time each day helping students with work that they are doing in their core classes.  By doing this, I see such a wide variety of methods and utilization materials at hand.  Although I am not directly in their classroom, I can see the different ways (both positively and negatively) that teachers implement the same system. I have the freedom of addressing the math topics that I want, in an order that I choose.  Ultimately, I want to have a classroom that works in groups - or breakout rooms as we call them.  Generally, as I am getting to learn the Blackboard technology and the other tools that I have available to me, my lesson is presented in whole group and then often they move to breakout rooms so that they can work on their own and i can jump around and assist as needed.  Ultimately, I would like to be able to have 4 or 5 rooms, where the students work in groups on activities that address the topic at hand.  Much like stations in an elementary room, some would be teacher led while others were self/group guided to allow students to take ownership of their learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment