Thursday, July 28, 2016

Online Learning in my life

The internet is by far my best friend when it comes to exploring and learning new things.  In my own home, I am the handy person.  Money was never in abundance when I was growing up so I watched many things get done by hand when they needed to be finished.  I have carried this idea into my adult life as well.  My dryer stopped drying (with 3 kids this is NOT an option) so I googled it, figured out why, ordered the part and youtubed a video on how to replaced the broken part and VOILA hot dry clothes again.  I started raising chickens a year ago and used the internet to determine what size the coop needed to be and what they needed.  My kids and I built the coop and we have had dozens of fresh eggs and entertainment ever since.  As a military spouse who wasn't living anywhere near a base, the online military community has helped me through endless trials and tribulations.  I also use search engines to find free or reduced cost opportunities and trips for my children.  Thank to Military One-Source I have prepared our taxes for free online for the past 10 years.  It is also use it to help my children continue to learn.  I often sent links to stories or pictures on Instagram to my kids when I find things that I know they would be interested in and it sparks discussions that wouldn't otherwise happen.

I believe that the internet should by any teacher's friend.  There are an endless amount of ideas and learning communities out there to work with to find better or different ideas on how to reach your students.  It is impossible for one person to be an expert on any subject now.  By engaging in communities online, I am able to learn from others and benefit my students in ways that would never be possible without reaching out.  I have taken many classes online through Pattan.  Through Pattan, I learned about their BrainSteps program which provides education for teachers and school staff to aide students who have suffered from concussions and brain injuries to reintegrate themselves back into the learning community with the least amount of stress and the most possible healing.  Eventually I would like to return to formal schooling in order learn about this newly emerging but definitely needed field of education.  Pattan offers online seminars that you can watch and ask questions at the end, but I would love to find a program where I can learn more in depth and be able to relate to my personal experience and growth.

The VOLT program has been a huge learning curve for me.  Most of my online learning previously has consisted of watching a speaker present a power point and discuss their bullet points with very little chance for interaction.  Through this program I have gained experience of emerging programs such as Canvas and Blue Jeans.  It is impossible to find all of the apps and tools available and it is wonderful to have a place to share and gain extensive knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment